G9 Penny Wars
Gold In September (G9) encourages youth from around the country to join forces to turn the world gold so every child, everywhere will survive cancer.
Our signature youth program, G9 Penny Wars, is a week-long project in a school setting that is designed to inspire youth philanthropy, leadership, and social entrepreneurship while supporting the mission of G9. Other G9 Youth Programs include merchandise sales, fundraisers and events. Each school, club, team or youth organization is asked to raise a minimum of $1,000 per program.
Learn more about how to participate here. Thank you for giving change for change!
Join the #growGOLD movement!
Gold (G) and September (9) are the nationally recognized color and month for childhood cancer awareness. Utilizing a noble model of inspiring the world to GROW GOLD, G9's mission is to increase funding for childhood cancer research and initiatives by growing awareness that inspires action. G9 is not just a mission, but a movement of golden hope uniting a nationwide community. Together, we will grow gold far and wide to bring optimism to every child, everywhere as we change the future of childhood cancer. Learn more about the #growGold movement and how others are joining in!
Other Ideas for Raising Awareness & Funds
The possibilities are endless. You can run for Gold In September, bake for Gold In September, buy a pizza for Gold In September; INSERT A VERB and TAKE ACTION! Together, we CAN change the future of childhood cancer for every child, everywhere. Below are just a few ideas.
- Follow G9 on social media to join the #growGOLD movement and conversation.
- Post on Facebook/tweet/blog about Gold In September; encourage your social media followers to raise awareness of childhood cancer and Gold In September (G9).
- Like the Gold In September Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Follow us on Instagram.
- Watch and share our YouTube videos about the G9 mission and childhood cancer.
- Change your profile picture to the G9 logo or add a G9 Twibbon as your profile pic.
- Share pictures of your fundraiser, gold clothes, G9 gear on the G9 social media pages.
- Shop and give back to the G9 mission!
- Wear G9 apparel and/or gold clothes/accessories.
- Add Gold In September to your company’s annual charitable giving registry.
- Ask local businesses to promote Childhood Cancer Awareness Month (September) by hanging banners in the storefront windows, decorating the store with gold decorations, featuring gold products, etc.
- Involve state representatives and ask them to give a speech to raise awareness of childhood cancer. This could be combined with a lighting ceremony (gold lights on a tree, gold lights on a building, gold lights on porch lights/street lights, etc.).
- Involve elementary schools and high schools by suggesting some type of Gold In September art project that can be displayed in the halls for the month of September.
- Organize a gold day at your school where everyone wears gold and hold a school assembly to discuss childhood cancer and how kids can help other kids and what your school will do to help raise awareness. You could even show one or more of the G9 videos for inspiration.
- Organize a fundraiser at your office, such as donating money in order to wear jeans. We have a new online tool that makes it super easy to set up an online donation page and see your progress and impact!
- Reach out to student groups at colleges (maybe the pre-med and medical student groups) to organize fundraisers/awareness events (run/walks, concerts, etc.) and/or hang up flyers around campus that announce September as Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and gold as the color.
- Contact various media outlets to suggest they run a story in September about childhood cancer.
- Promote Gold In September on your organization's website and social media sites; add a section to your website that explains the meaning of gold and September and offer ways people can help raise awareness. Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for logos and permissions.
- Reach out to celebrities/public figures and ask them to post about Gold In September on their social media sites in order to help raise awareness.
- Encourage people to put gold light bulbs in porch lights for September.
- Ask a public building, capitol building, multiple buildings in your downtown area, bridge, or landmark to light up gold in September.
- Reach out to college campuses and ask any organized group (i.e. sorority) to wear gold clothing and accessories and post pictures on their individual social media sites and the G9 Facebook page.
- Ask anyone participating in a childhood cancer fundraising event (bikeathon, run, or walk) to decorate their bike with gold, wear gold clothes/shoes/accessories, etc., or organize your own fundraiser for childhood cancer and add a gold touch to every aspect of the event.
- Wear gold hair extensions (great awareness and conversation starter); Ask beauty salons to get involved (possible fundraiser).
- Wear t-shirts, buttons, clothing, and other accessories (gold and/or contain childhood cancer awareness messages) around town to raise awareness that September is childhood cancer awareness month and that the color is gold.
- During September, provide families on the pediatric oncology floor with gold goodie bags (containing all gold things, like gold products, gold toys, gold snacks, and useful information).
- Contact personnel at your local children’s hospital to ask them to raise awareness in September (decorate the hospital with gold balloons, streamers, banners, let the staff wear gold clothing/accessories, post on social media sites, etc.).
- Contact athletes and major sports organizations to ask if players can wear gold jerseys, shoes, socks, wrist bands, helmet stickers, etc. during games in September; or at least acknowledge September as childhood cancer awareness month in some way at a game.
- Hold a gold bake sale and/or lemonade stand and hand out information on childhood cancer.
- Wear gold every day in September and see if people notice and ask you about it.
- Propose a challenge to your friends to find 30 people who will join you in finding 30 ways in 30 days to raise awareness of childhood cancer.
- A donation to a childhood cancer organization or children’s hospital would be a great alternative to wedding guest favors, wedding gifts, birthday gifts, anniversary gifts, etc.
- Ask businesses to hang gold banner on the side of a visible building or landmark.
- Ask a company to sponsor a billboard that announces September as childhood cancer awareness month.
- Ask newspapers, magazines, websites, and other publications to go gold in September.
- Ask local high schools to help spread awareness by turning a September football game into a gold event. Players could wear something gold, cheerleaders could have gold pom pons, half time could be devoted to local children battling cancer, a speaker could talk about the importance of raising awareness, sell all gold products at the concession stand, etc.
Current Job Opportunities
We are excited to announce that we currently have a part-time opportunity available that will support G9 in changing the future of childhood cancer. Please provide your resume, portfolio (if applicable), references, and why you are interested in G9. We look forward to connecting with you!